Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Motorcycle Mural in Progress

I began work on the mural this morning. The wall is a very rough texture and I quickly found out that lines drawn in pencil got lost in the shadows of the stucco. Luckily I brought my drawing box and found some red conti crayn to lay out the drawing. Even then it was difficult to see so I decided to paint the whole motorcycle in black and then go back and add color.
    The man in the photo is the homeowner, Bob. I had mentioned in my previous blog that I thought he didn't ride motorcycles anymore. I was wrong. When I arrived this morning his garage door was open and inside was a red Harley Sportster. I asked him when was the last time he rode it, and he said last week!
    I should be able to finish up tomorrow. I will add color and a shadow so it doesn't look like it's floating.
     My friend Chris called the local newspaper today and asked if they were interested in doing a story on the mural. They asked me to send a press release, and indicated they would be sending a reporter. So I may be interviewed tomorrow.
   The temperature today was around 80, sunny, with a brisk wind. My paint was drying before I could get it on the wall, and even though the sun was to my back and I was wearing a wide brimmed hat, my face is a little sunburned. It must be the light reflecting off the wall. This has been a good exercise before starting the Punta Gorda murals. I'm getting a taste of the challenges I'll face painting larger murals in harsher  circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment