Friday, April 29, 2011

Artist Statement : Painting

     Painting for me is all about color. Yes I like a good design, and I am careful to have a good underlying drawing, but the part that I work at and am continually challenged by, is color. I like rich, warm color. I often use color directly from the tube to get the most intense color possible and then juxtapose it's opposite. I often use reds in shadows to warm them up. The worst mistake is to overuse white to lighten up colors and end up with a washed out look. I would say the overall look of my paintings are realistic with more intense or exaggerated color.
   I have a painterly style. You can see most of my brush strokes. I blend colors but not to the point of hiding the process. To me the process is just as important as the subject in viewing a painting. If all the brush strokes are blended away it is like the artist left nothing of himself behind. Brush strokes are the signature of a painter and along with color choice, a measure of his passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment