Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Beginning Painting on Canvas

After four days of transferring the drawings to canvas the Punta Gorda murals begin to get colorful. Because I am under a deadline I decided to begin painting all the canvases at once. I chose to work in acrylic also because of time constraints,and because the actual mural will be in acrylics.
    I began the paintings by covering the whole canvas with a thin wash of an off yellow. This preserved the drawing while toneing down the brightness of the white canvas.  Moving the background to a more medium tone should help me make better color choices going forward. Also the yellow helps me keep an overall warm feeling I am striving for.
   Then I began blocking out the dark areas with a dark purple. This helps me set the value range and begins the process of working from dark to light. Up until this point the process has been pretty straight forward. Now comes the challenging, scary, unsure, creative  color choices  that often takes me in unexpected directions and is what keeps painting fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment