Friday, January 13, 2012

Revised Tennis Mural Sample

About a week after I handed over my paintings to the Punta Gorda Historical Mural Society I got a call saying the members loved the colors in the paintings except some of the members thought the shadow in the tennis painting was hard to read, and the main player was too dark. She asked if I would have a problem making those changes.  I said I wouldn't mind making the changes but the reason I made him dark, under a shadow, was symbolic. I told her that in my research on Bill Tilden, who the society directed me to depict, I discovered things about him that I thought should put him under a shadow. When I told her what it was, she seemed to catch her breath and thanked me for my willingness to make the changes. She said someone else would be contacting me about getting the painting back. Several days later a time and place was arranged to pick up the painting. He said was that I was to keep in mind, even though the painting depicts Tilden, the mural is mainly about the sport of tennis not an individual player. The point is that professional tennis got it's start in Punta Gorda when the historic Hotel Port Charlotte built the courts and helped organize the matches.   To be honest, I like the revised painting.
                                                                                                                                     
                           

No comments:

Post a Comment