Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Finished Mural Samples

They are due on Friday, and here I am on Wednesday at 10:00 pm, and I can say I have nothing to do! Oh, I will probably see something to touch up, but they are signed, and I contacted The Punta Gorda Historical Mural Society and arranged for them to be delivered tomarrow, with one day to spare.
If you look close at the frame you will see three bands of color. The inner band is dark brown, followed by a light band, and then a medium brown on the outside. Early on I knew I would use masking tape to paint those long narrow bands of color, but the problem was how to mask it off without having to re-mask for each band? My solution was to first separate the main painting from the frame by masking around the interior of the frame. Then I would paint the whole frame the color of the light band. After the paint dried I would put a 1/4inch wide strip of masking tape 1/8inch from the inner edge of the frame. That would leave me with a narrow strip to be painted dark and the outside to be painted medium brown. All I needed was 1/4 inch masking tape.
I got on my motorcycle an headed out on a mission to find my masking tape. Home Depot is just down the road, they didn't have it. Ace hardware in Port Charlotte didn't have it. They suggested an automotive paint store, but didn't know where one was. The Sherwin Williams paint store didn't have it, but suggested the automotive supply store just down the road. They didn't have it.
I went to Michael's art supply and found in the stencil department, Martha Stewarts narrow masking tape to make plad designs. It was kind of pricey so I thought there might be more tape of another brand in some other department. I asked a women who works there if she had any narrow masking tape. "How narrow?" she asked. "One quarter inch." I said holding my thumb and index finger to the narrow space of 1/4 inch. "No," she said, "we don't carry that."I just rolled my eyes and went back to Martha Stewart.
It was a challenge to finish on time. Several days I worked into the late evening. But I'm happy with the result and  I can't wait to start working on the four walls of the final murals.

No comments:

Post a Comment